Mountain Pass of Kangra, Himachal Pradesh.
Mountain pass is way to to cross mountain to reach other valleys by trekking. Himachal Pradesh is mountainous state and not all villages are connected with roads. Some villages are close but in different valleys and takes 2 days to reach by road and take 1 day by trekking. Trekking takes less time but tough. Highest point of mountains where trek cross to other valley is called mountain pass. There are so many passes between Kangra and Chamba valley.
Mountain pass of Kangra Distt. of Himachal Pradesh.
Minkayani Pass, Infrahara Pass, Warhu Pass, Jalsu Pass, Thamsar Pass.
Minkayani Pass – 14100 ft from sea level.
Trek route Passing Minkayani pass and other nearby passes
1. Salli village to Chandrala to Chakrotu (11,550 feet, 9 km /4 to 6 hour).
2. Chakrotu to Lam Dal Via Balyani Jot (11600 feet , 12 km / 5 to 6 hours, 11600 feet).
3. Lam Dal to Kareri lake by minkayani pass (12 km /5 to 6 hour, 14100 feet).
4. Kareri Lake to Kareri village (12 km / 4-5 hour, 9750 feet).
Starting point Salli village is 105 km from Bir. 90 km is national higway and last 15 km is mountain road takes 2.5 hrs to reach from Bir.
Minkayani pass is at the altitude of 14100 feet from sea level between Kareri Lake and Lam Dal. One side of pass is kangra velley and other side is Chatri village of Chamba after crossing another pass at 13500 ft. Shephards of Kangra cross pass and spends months here.
Indrahara mountain pass trek – 14350 ft from sea level.
1. Mcleodganj to Triund (12 km /4-5 hrs).
2. Triund – Laka Got – (8 km / 4-5 hrs).
3. Laka got- Indrahar Pass ( 14350 feet – Chatru Parao village (12 Km/ 6-7 hr))
4. Chatru Parao – Kuarsi (12 km /4-5 hrs).
5. Kuarsi – Hilling – Chamba (8 km 4-5 hrs).
Macleodganj is 70 km from Bir and one can reach in 2 hrs from Bir Billing.
Pass of Indrahara is most travelled by mountaineer and shephards during the year. Trekking from Mcleodganj to Holi village via Triund is quite famous. Trek is 4-5 days long. Shepherds’ cross these mountain passes every year once going to higher areas and other moving back before winters. Tourist movement of trekkers from May to Oct.
Waru Pass – 12710 feet from sea level.
1. Palampur to Chandpur (10 km, drive) to Sat Chali (8 km / 4-5 hrs)
2. Sat Chali to Waru Pass (12710 feet from sea level) to Baoli got (12 km / 5-6 hrs)
3. Baoli Got to Thanetar to Tunda Munda. (11 km/ 5-6 hrs)
4. Tunda Munda to Naya Gram. (8 km / 3-4 hrs)
Starting point is 35 km from Bir Billing and good road conditions.
Waru pass is located in Dhauladhar mountain range near Palampur. Trek is considered tough and few shepahard use these trails. Sat chali is very windy and narrow passages to cross.
Jalsu Pass – 12500 ft from sea level.
Pass of Jalsu is easy to moderate and very famous among local trekkers. Many local people cross Jalsu pass to go Manimahesh Lake, a very sacred lake of lord shiva at Manimahesh Kailash parvat in Bharmour of Chamba.
Jalsu pass is open grazing ground and many shepherds’ and gujar bring to their folks and cattle’s during June to Oct when lower area experience monsoon and closed for grazing. Higher grazing Gots have nutritious grass and medicinal grass provide nourishment to cattles and folks.
1. Uttrala to Khutni (4 km/ 2-3 hr, 8250 ft)
2. Khutni to Yara Via Jalsu Pass to Yara (9 km/ 4-5 hr/ 12500 ft)
3. Yara to Surai (6 km/ 3-4. 9500 ft)
4. Surai to Nayagran (11 km/4-5. 6435 ft)
5. Nayagran to Chama/ Bharmour (11 km/ 4-5 hr. 6765 ft)
Uttrala hydro-project and water reservoir is 25 km from Bir Billing.
Thamsar Pass – 15680 feet from sea level.
Trek to Bada Bhangal from Bir passing through Thamsar pass which is 15680 feet from sea level. Bada Bhangal is most tribal part of Himachal and still not connected through road. Treks only way to reach here and through Thamsar pass. Thamsar mountain pass open from June to October.
1. Bir to Billing (drive 14 km) Billing to Palachak (16 km/ 6-7 hr, 9200 ft)
2. Palachak to Panihartu (13 km/ 5-6 hr/ 11550 ft)
3. Panihartu to Bhed Pal to Thamsar pas (15680 ft) to Madi (12 km/ 5-6.)
4. Madi to Bada Bhangal (10 km/4-5 7000 ft)
Drive from Bir to Billing is 14 km and there is another way of driving 70 km/ 2-3 hrs from Bir and reduce trek by 14 km.
Bir Billing to Thamsar pass trek also add on to Paragliding activity, Camping in Camp Oak View and other adventure activities.